Emgage Florida Executive Director
Full Time | Application Deadline:
Emgage, a leading Muslim American voter mobilization, and issue advocacy organization is looking to fill a number of positions to meet its growing needs. Founded in 2006, Emgage achieved national prominence in 2020 by hosting candidate Joe Biden at its Emgage Action Summit and helping turn-out over one million Muslim voters during the 2020 million Muslim Votes Campaign. The organization is headquartered in Washington, D.C. with chapters in Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Texas, and New York. As a leading Get Out The Vote (GOTV) and social justice/human rights issue advocacy organization, Emgage has a network of partnerships with local and state grassroots organizations across the country. Emgage also has strategic partnerships and works in coalitions with a diverse set of leading national organizations.
Ideal candidates are those with proven leadership traits and experiences in their respective fields. They must be committed to advancing underrepresented communities’ rights, values, and ideas. Emgage offers competitive salaries, generous retirement and healthcare benefits, and a positive work environment that promotes wellness, growth, and personal fulfillment.
The Executive Director (ED) serves as the primary leader, external champion, and internal manager of Emgage’s Florida chapter, including its staff and volunteers. The ED is responsible for implementing Emgage’s national agenda and setting and implementing a state-wide agenda. The ED is the chief “manager” and “community organizer” for the Chapter, translating strategy into action and results through developing and executing annual operating, financial, and marketing plans.
The ED represents the organization with key stakeholders, including donors, civic and religious organizations, partners, elected officials, and the media. The ED ensures effective execution of our programs, while also managing the growth and sustainability of the Chapter. An effective ED is able to both lead the Chapter team at its current size and scope and successfully strategize and manage future growth. 50% of ED time will be focused on staff oversight, program management, program planning, and financial management, 25% on communications, and 25% on growth and development. Travel within the state of Florida and some national travel will be required.
- Lead and grow Emgage FL operations and budget to serve as the premier civic and political organization for Muslim Americans
- Develop current staff and hire new talent to fulfill the mission
- Increase Florida’s Muslim voter knowledge and participation
- Lead effective issue advocacy campaigns and secure adoption of favorable policies and legislations
- Manage a thoughtful and transparent candidate vetting and public elections education process
- Develop the next generation of Muslim American civic leaders by leading and growing our Emerging Leaders program
- Staff Management: Lead, support, and manage the state team in coordination with the National Office. Provide weekly, monthly, and bi-annual work updates. Conduct bi-annual performance evaluations of staff. Ensure that your state has a database of active volunteers who can be engaged to support activities at various times.
- Program Execution: Ensure execution of core organizational programs throughout the year in the areas of voter engagement, civic education, leadership development, and data analytics on voter trends. At minimum conduct at least 2 civics pieces of training per month at religious and/or cultural centers.
- Community Organizing: Develop and execute tactics to engage and recruit a wide range of community stakeholders for civic and political events and initiatives. Execute a robust organizing program that builds into Get Out the Vote operations.
- Communications: Develop and execute marketing and communications plans for the Chapter to increase brand awareness, membership, donations, and volunteers. Provide fresh content on a regular basis to the national communications team to amplify across all national media platforms. Act as a spokesperson on behalf of the institution for chapter activities and on relevant local issues.
- Fundraising/Development: Support chapter fundraising and development to meet annual and long-term revenue goals. Identify, cultivate, solicit, and manage strategic relationships with funders with an emphasis on foundations; work with the CEO and Florida Advisory Committee Chairperson to build a sustainable revenue model.
- Financial Management: Ensure fiscally-sound budgeting, forecasting, expense management, and cash flow for the Chapter budget.
- Legislative: Identify top legislative issues for the state and develop a strategy to achieve impact. Report on legislative priorities to National Legislative Director
- Data Management: Work with National Organizing Director on metrics for organizing operations. Build your state’s email distribution list and membership.
- Elections: Develop organizing strategies and lead candidate vetting with the National Team.
- Admin: Manage administrative operations for the chapter including financial reports, contracts management, office space management, tools management, etc.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Minimum 3 – 5 years’ organizational management and project management experience.
- Experience planning and executing successful individual donor cultivation and retention events.
- Knowledge of high-net-worth communities via local business, civic, and cultural networks is highly desired.
- Ability to simultaneously manage short-term and long-term plans and goals.
- Ability to lead and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, changing environment.
- Exhibit a strong desire to work with a diverse group of individuals. Must be able to liaison with religious and cultural organizations within MASA communities.
- Demonstrate excellent written, public speaking, and organizational skills; a high level of attention to detail is a must.
- Outstanding leadership and management skills overseeing a complex enterprise at a high level of responsibility.
- Ability and experience working in an entrepreneurial and dynamic organization. Entrepreneurial mindset.
- Capacity to both effectively manage the Chapter to success in its current state, and to lead future growth and success.
- High level of organizational and political sophistication, especially as it relates to connecting programs to funding, creatively generating other resources, and building collaborative and strategic partnerships.
- Proven skills and experience in fundraising and/or sales, with the ability to meet revenue goals.
- Preference for candidates with political campaign or grassroots organizing experience.
- Outstanding relationship management skills; ability to build relationships with senior-level stakeholders.
The position is part of the leadership team of Emgage with a competitive salary and potential for long-term advancement. Our competitive benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, a 401k plan with employer contribution, and paid time off.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should send an email with a CV to Silvia Larranaga at SLarranaga@emgageusa.org.