Emgage Foundation Michigan Internship Program
Intern | Application Deadline:
Are you a student looking to get involved in social justice issues, encouraging people to vote, or keeping our doors open to vulnerable refugees? Are you concerned about the marginalization of minorities in our country and growth of hate groups and want to help? Do you want to see other Congressional officials that truly represent YOUR community?
Emgage Foundation is a 501(C)(3) national civic-education and engagement organization that implements an ecosystem of programs to develop the capacity of Muslim voters to ensure that their narrative is part of the American story. Our programs include civic educational events such as issue forums and town halls, voter initiatives including Get Out The Vote (GOTV) drives, and specific programs for the youth in order to mentor and support the next generation of leaders.
We are currently seeking motivated individuals to join our team in Michigan. The ideal candidate is independent, detail-oriented, and passionate about civic engagement and political empowerment. Interns will be exposed to the inner workings of our Michigan office, and learn about effective issue advocacy and community mobilization. Interns will also benefit from various networking and professional development opportunities that they will be exposed to during their tenure.
- BA degree or currently enrolled in school
- Critical writing and research skills
- Strategic social media manager
- Knowledge of basic Microsoft software
- A can-do attitude and ability to multitask
- Ability to work 10-20 hours per week, including remotely
- Excellent communication skills
- Graphic design skills a plus
- General wordpress design knowledge is a plus
- Media monitoring
- Draft and track professional, relevant content across Facebook and twitter
- Create content to populate social media calendar and schedule content on hootsuite.
- Track mentions of Emgage in the media
- Track, organize, and share relevant stories and online resources with staff
- Monitor and research ongoing legislation
- Send internal updates/memos to staff on new cosponsors, upcoming hearings
- Update and maintain events database
- Participate in voter registration and GOTV events
- Provide note taking and agenda development support
- Draft informational memos on breaking developments and policy issues
- Accompany staff to official meetings
- Provide events planning and implementation support
- Assist in coordination of chapter activities
- Support the planning of annual Washington Policy Summit
- Experience with VAN database
- Experience with EveryAction
Duration:Spring/Fall Internships are for four months and can be renewed indefinitely based on performance and need. Summer internships are for 2 months and can be renewed indefinitely based on performance and need.
- Email email@example.com
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- 2-3 References
- Application Deadline: Rolling basis
Emgage Foundation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Emgage Foundation expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
The Available Emgage National Internship Programs
- Social Media & Digital Engagement
- Research & Policy
The GOTV Program includes:
- Researching and Drafting internal and external training materials
- Recruiting volunteers
- Managing phone banks
- Processing data from GOTV efforts
- Managing community trainings i.e. How to tell your Personal Story, How to mobilize your community, etc.
- Coordinating the mobilization of chapter GOTV activities
The Research and Policy Program includes:
- Developing informational one-pagers on organizational issues
- Assisting the Legislative Director with Congressional outreach efforts
- Monitoring and research ongoing legislation
- Drafting action emails for constituent action
The Social Media & Digital Engagement Program includes:
- Drafting creative content
- Engaging with partner organizations and digital influencers through social media
- Managing live workshops and webinars
- Developing online organizing strategies
- Analyzing and mapping engagement opportunities