Emgage Foundation National Internship Program
Intern | Application Deadline:
Are you a student looking to get involved in social justice issues, encouraging people to vote, or keeping our doors open to vulnerable refugees? Are you concerned about the marginalization of minorities in our country and growth of hate groups and want to help?
Emgage Foundation is a 501(C)(3) national civic-education and engagement organization that strives to build the political awareness and capacity of Muslim Americans to engage on key policy issues that affect all of us. Our programs include civic educational events such as issue forums and town halls, voter initiatives including Get Out The Vote (GOTV) drives, and specific programs for the youth in order to mentor and support the next generation of leaders. Bringing the change we need requires proactive and consistent civic participation. Engagement requires an understanding of the political process, how to engage with elected officials, and how to form partnerships with other constituencies in support of common policy positions.
We are currently seeking motivated individuals like you to join our national team in Washington, D.C. The ideal candidate is independent, detail-oriented, and passionate about civic engagement and political empowerment. Interns will be exposed to the inner workings of our national office, which serves as the policy and operational nervecenter for our five state chapters, and learn about effective issue advocacy and community mobilization. Interns are a vital part of our team.
Interns will also benefit from various networking and professional development opportunities and can expect to gain:
- Capitol Hill Savvy
- A budding network of professional contacts
- Strong speaking skills
- A knowledge of organizing
- Expertise in national and local legislative priorities
Requirements and Qualifications:
- BA degree or currently enrolled in school
- Critical writing and research skills
- Strategic social media manager
- Knowledge of basic Microsoft software
- A can-do attitude and ability to multitask
- Dependable time-management skills
- Ability to work 25 hours per week, including remotely
- Excellent communication skills
- Graphic design skills
- General wordpress design knowledge
- Experience with VAN and voter data software
- Campaign experience
- Media monitoring
- Draft and track professional, relevant content across Facebook and twitter
- Create content to populate social media calendar and schedule content on hootsuite.
- Track mentions of Emgage in the media
- Track, organize, and share relevant stories and online resources with staff
- Monitor and research ongoing legislation
- Send internal updates/memos to staff on new cosponsors, upcoming hearings
- Update and maintain events database
- Participate in voter registration and GOTV events
- Provide note taking and agenda development support
- Draft informational memos on breaking developments and policy issues
- Accompany staff to official meetings
- Provide events planning and implementation support
- Support the planning of annual Hill Day
Duration: Internships are for two-four months and can be renewed indefinitely based on performance and need.
Spring Internship: January – May
- Deadline to Apply: November 15th
- Decisions will be sent out: December 1st
Summer Internship: June – August
- Deadline to Apply: May 15th
- Decisions will be sent out: June 1st
Fall Internship: September – December
- Deadline to Apply: July 15th
- Decisions will be sent out: August 1st
You can also check out our new office space here! Access to gym included for interns.
- Email email@example.com
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- 2-3 References
Emgage Foundation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Emgage Foundation expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of our employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.