Emgage Michigan Community Organizer Application
Full Time | Application Deadline:
Emgage, a leading Muslim American voter mobilization and issue advocacy organization, is looking to fill several positions to meet its growing needs. Founded in 2006, Emgage achieved national prominence in 2020 by hosting candidate Joe Biden at its Emgage Action Summit and helping turn out over one million Muslim voters during the 2020 Million Muslim Votes Campaign. The organization is headquartered in Washington, D.C., with chapters in Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Texas, and New York. As a leading Get Out The Vote (GOTV) and social justice/human rights issue advocacy organization, Emgage has a network of partnerships with local and state grassroots organizations across the country. Emgage also has strategic partnerships and works in coalitions with a diverse set of leading national organizations.
Ideal candidates have proven leadership traits and experiences in their respective fields. They must be committed to advancing underrepresented communities’ rights, values, and ideas. Emgage offers competitive salaries, generous retirement and healthcare benefits, and a positive work environment that promotes wellness, growth, and personal fulfillment.
Since 2017 Emgage has been implementing and improving various tools and techniques to serve, organize, and mobilize Muslim communities. However, it has been clear that we can take an even deeper and more intentional approach to build relationships within and leverage our resources for the African American Muslim community.
Beginning in 2020, Emgage’s African American Policy Committee came together to build a sustainable, electorally focused community-organizing team in partnership with leading Black Muslim American political operatives and organizations. The African American Policy Committee now serves as a driving force in Emgage’s national programming and initiatives. Issues that the committee has identified as a priority for community organizing include but are not limited to economic inequality, educational inequities, lack of access to quality healthcare, housing inequities, and criminal justice reform gaps.
The initiative to bring on three full-time Community Organizers in key cities with vibrant Black Muslim populations has been led by the African American policy committee and is our next step in building a sustainable and genuine, people-powered institution.
The Community Organizer will play a vital role in supporting the organizing strategy to build Muslim American voter turnout and mobilize on key policy initiatives. The position’s goals include but are not limited to: building the capacity of local leaders to recognize, own, and amplify their power through training, capacity building, coaching, and strategic campaign development; to build a strong volunteer infrastructure by growing our base of activists and engagers, and by developing and supporting new and current leaders; to support campaign implementation through direct actions and other engagements and; to create a connection between national issue campaigns and local activities.
The successful candidate is self-sufficient, resourceful, collaborative; an efficient, effective verbal, written (electronic), and visual communicator skilled in extracting user requirements; able to assess and manage priorities, driven to provide effective solutions, and well organized and methodical, with an eye for detail, and a champion of process standards and documentation. We seek someone who is analytical, creative, and adaptive in problem-solving; seeks to help others improve the process, visibility, and decision-making through reports and data; and is passionate about building political power in the Muslim American community.
Identify and develop strong, trusted, and authentic relationships with key organizations and community leaders
Work across departments to ensure that organizing goals complement other campaigns and organizational goals
Implement online and offline organizing strategies to win legislative, power-building, and programmatic achievements.
Recruit, train, coordinate and manage volunteers
Develop and grow volunteer leadership and capacity at the state and local levels to advance organizing work
Identify training and resource development needs
Provide timely and consistent reports on the grassroots activities and progress of organizing goals
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong relationship-builder with ability to meet and lead in both one-on-one and group settings
- Ability to effectively translate political jargon and priorities for popular audiences
- Self-motivated and self-reliant with ability to plan, prioritize, and manage one’s time and projects effectively
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, and changing environment
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a cross-functional team
- A proactive attitude to propose creative improvements when identified, ask critical questions
- Willingness to ask questions and ask for support when stuck
- A resilient work style that can support rapid response demands, especially around election months
- Experience leading a fast-paced and effective strategy for civic organizing and/or advocacy organization, political or issue campaign
- Experience integrating policy work with organizing and campaigns.
- Experience with developing/executing both digital and traditional campaign plans
- Demonstrated understanding of the local community terrain i.e. active civic groups, community dynamics, local Masajid influence, appetite for civic activity, engagement with elected officials, etc.
- At least one cycle of organizing experience
- Strong leadership, quantitative analysis, and organizational skills
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral
- Unwavering commitment to social justice and experience with social change organizing
The position is part of the Emgage Michigan Chapter with a salary range of $40,000-50,000 annually depending on experience. Our competitive benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, a 401k plan with employer contribution, and paid time off.
For any questions please contact Nada Al-Hanooti at Nalhanooti@emgageusa.org
Apply at https://secure.everyaction.com/TC5U36nVoUWDdaCpR50GPQ2