Emgage, a leading Muslim American voter mobilization and issue advocacy organization is looking to fill a number of positions to meet its growing needs. Founded in 2006, Emgage achieved national prominence in 2020 by hosting candidate Joe Biden at its Emgage Action Summit and helping turn-out over one million Muslim voters during the 2020 Million Muslim Votes Campaign. The organization is headquartered in Washington, D.C. with chapters in Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Texas, and New York. As a leading Get Out The Vote (GOTV) and social justice/human rights issue advocacy organization, Emgage has a network of partnerships with local and state grassroots organizations across the country. Emgage also has strategic partnerships and works in coalitions with a diverse set of leading national organizations.
Ideal candidates are those with proven leadership traits and experiences in their respective fields. They must be committed to advancing the rights, values, and ideas of underrepresented communities. Emgage offers competitive salaries, generous retirement and healthcare benefits, and a positive work environment that promotes wellness, growth, and personal fulfillment.
This individual will be responsible for leading and managing local and grassroots political organizing for Emgage Foundation’s New York Metro chapter.
The Deputy Director (DD) serves as the primary organizer and external champion at the local and State level. The Deputy Director is responsible for implementing Emgage’s chapter agenda and goals, focused on voter mobilization, coalition building and issue advocacy.
The Deputy Director represents the organization with key stakeholders, including civic and religious organizations, partners, elected officials and campaigns.
An effective Deputy Director will grow the number of campaigns and races our chapter is able to engage in, increase the visibility of Emgage in NY, NJ and CT politics and allow us to have our community’s voice be represented in all the rooms that matter.
Travel within the NY Metro area (NY, NJ & CT) will be required.
- Endorsements: Own and execute the endorsement process for NY, NJ & CT State and City races on behalf of the chapter. Work with the board, volunteers and partners to identify key races, engage with candidates and campaigns. Effectively support endorsement committees by providing structure and guidance, agendas, and minutes to committee meetings.
- Community Organizing: Develop and execute tactics to engage and recruit a wide-range of community stakeholders for civic and political events and initiatives.
- Staff Management: Lead, support, and manage volunteers in coordination with the Executive Director and the NY Metro board. Provide weekly, monthly, and bi-annual work updates.
- Program Execution: Ensure execution of core organizational programs throughout the year in the areas of voter engagement, civic education, and issue advocacy.
- Internal: Ensure that all stakeholders including coalition partners, board members and of course the NY Metro and National Emgage teams are in the loop with everything that is going on through timely updates.
- External: Work with our NY communications team and the national communications team, to ensure that all our events and programs are effectively marketed.
Reports directly to the Executive Director and the NY Metro Board.
|SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of 3 years of management experience in the organizing, civic, or political space.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Experience conceiving, planning, and executing public events.
- Ability to lead and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, changing environment.
- Exhibit strong desire to work with diverse groups of individuals. Must be able to liaison with religious and cultural organizations within MASA communities.
- Outstanding leadership and management skills overseeing a complex enterprise at a high level of responsibility.
- Capacity to both effectively manage the Chapter to success in its current state, and to lead future growth.
- Outstanding relationship management skills; ability to build relationships with senior level stakeholders.
- Commitment to excellence and our mission.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with voter engagement and turnout, including with organizing canvassing and phone banking operations.
- Experience leading, planning, or executing issue advocacy campaigns.
- Demonstrated proficiency with digital communications and leveraging social media to organize and create brand and programmatic awareness.
- High level of organizational and political sophistication, especially as it relates to connecting programs to funding, creatively generating other resources, and building collaborative and strategic partnerships.
Competitive based on experience
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.