National Communications Director
Full Time | Application Deadline: 05/31/2022 5:00pm
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Emgage Foundation is a national civic education and engagement organization for Muslim
Americans that is headquartered in Washington, D.C. with chapters in six states. We are seeking
an experienced, mission-driven professional to lead the communications program to effectively
influence public debate, oversee contact with the press, craft digital advocacy campaigns, shape
the organization’s public image, and manage the organization’s digital assets.
● Advancing the vision and values of Emgage across various communications channels;
● Supporting our organizing campaigns by amplifying grassroots voices and leveraging
national state and regional media; and
● Supporting and developing strong communicators and digital organizers at our state
● Develop, manage and drive the organization’s media and messaging strategy, coordinated
through various channels, with input from Staff and select Board members.
● Advance the organization’s message, policies and ideas in traditional and social media.
● Utilizing social media monitoring programs to track and manipulate trends.
● Generate the production of high quality, timely, original social media and digital content.
● Guide the organization’s earned media strategy, including the creation and oversight of the
execution of media plans.
● Consult with other departments on all external communications.
● Cultivate strong relationships with the media and bloggers, and ally organizations’
● Maintain best practices and operations for all digital platforms including websites and
social media, mass email systems, channels. Incorporate data-driven strategies to ensure a
top-notch digital performance. Identify and negotiate with vendor partners to implement
● Drive subscribership and regular communications with existing pool of subscribers.
● Stay current on best practices, trends, and technologies related to content creation and
● Develop clear, coordinated processes for the execution of communications products across
the entire organization.
● Along with the Executive Director, personally represent the organization in the media, and
advise on all press contacts.
● Experience leading a fast-paced and effective communications program for a civic
organizing and/or advocacy organization, political or issue campaign.
● 5+ years working experience managing communications strategy development in a civic
organizing or advocacy environment.
● Experience integrating communications with organizing and campaigns. Experience with
developing/executing both digital and traditional media campaign plans.
● Experience creating, maintaining, and executing content and digital strategy for civic or
● Strong leadership, quantitative analysis and organizational skills.
● Project management experience.
● Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral.
● Ability to work with diverse people and organizations.
● Excellent relationship-building skills with ability to influence others to move toward a
common vision or goal.
● Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in communications, marketing, or a related
● Knowledge of legal constraints of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofits.
● Unwavering commitment to social justice and experience with social change organizing.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The position is part of the leadership team of Emgage with a competitive salary and potential for
long term advancement. Our competitive benefits package includes medical and dental insurance,
401k plan with employer contribution, and paid time off.
To apply, contact: [email protected]