CEO of Emgage
Wa’el Alzayat is CEO of Emgage, where he provides strategic and operational guidance and management for the organization. He is based in Washington, D.C. Alzayat previously served with distinction as a U.S. Middle East policy expert at the U.S. Department of State for ten years, including as Senior Policy Advisor to U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Samantha Power and Syria Outreach Coordinator with Ambassador Robert Ford.
As a first generation Arab and Muslim American, Alzayat has long been a passionate advocate for protecting fundamental American values and freedoms, and increasing the civic engagement of minority communities. Alzayat was recently named Top 10 Inspiring Arab Americans Leaders by Huffington Post.
Areas of Expertise:
- Civic engagement and political organizing
- U.S. Middle East foreign and security policy
- Chemical weapons non-proliferation
- Humanitarian assistance
- Refugee vetting and resettlement
- Masters of Science in Foreign Service, Georgetown University
- Bachelor of Arts in Middle East history and political science, University of California at Berkeley.
- TV: Regularly featured on Al-Arabiya and Al-Jazeera as a Middle East policy expert. Can Russia Abandon President Bashar al-Assad, Aljazeera English.
- Radio: Frequent guest on public radio. Coming to America…It’s Complicated, WAMU, 1A.
- Policy Events: Post ISIS Iraq and Syria: Avoiding Chaos, Middle East Policy Council, Washington, D.C.
- Think Tanks: Attribution and Accountability for CW Use in Syria, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, D.C.
- Oped, The Hill, Countering Hate Crimes with Policy and Civic Engagement.
- Article, The Cipher Brief, Focus on Clear Goals to Contain Iran in Iraq and Syria.
- Oped, The Washington Post, A plea to President Trump: Don’t send Syrians back to Assad
- Oped, The Huffington Post, Trump’s Travel Ban Attacks The Very Idea Of America, But Muslims Are Fighting Back
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org